Artificial intelligence (AI) is increasingly used in various industries. However, it is only effective when used correctly. Finding the right AI-powered solutions is crucial for businesses managing complex projects efficiently.
Fortunately, there are many AI project management tools available on the market. But how do these tools work, and do they truly deliver on their promises? This article will explore the key factors businesses must consider when selecting AI project management tools with the top 13 tools on the market.
What Is AI Project Management Software?
AI project management software is a tool that incorporates AI and machine learning (ML) processing capabilities to streamline project decision-making. This technology replicates computer-controlled cognitive processes by mimicking human decision-making, meaning, and reasoning.
An AI project management tool could analyze data from past completed projects - things like task dependencies, durations, resource assignments, costs, etc. It would look for patterns in what made some projects more successful than others and what common factors led to delays or over-budget issues.
Top 12 Providers Of AI Project Management Tools
Best for creative agencies, marketing teams, and small businesses. Focus on visual planning and collaboration.
Monday is a project management tool that offers a user-friendly interface with numerous project management templates and a newsfeed board with chat features for effective team communication and collaboration.
- Visual board interface for an accessible overview of tasks and status
- Collaborative features allow real-time teamwork and communication
- Wide range of customizable templates
- It can be complex to set up automation and AI features properly
- Predictions may not always be accurate depending on data quality
- Interface could feel cluttered for simple projects
$8/user/month for core features (billed annually). Premium AI features require an additional $8/user/month.
G2 Grade: 4.2/5
Suitable for development teams, Q&A processes, and compliance projects. Emphasis on custom workflows.
ProofHub is an all-in-one project management and task management tool designed to help teams and organizations work more effectively and efficiently. It offers AI reporting, analytics, and automated workflows to streamline project management.
- Integrations with over 300 apps like Slack, Jira, Dropbox improve workflow
- Real-time collaboration across teams through activity feeds
- Customizable workflows and approval processes reduce errors
- Learning curve for less technical users
- Some features only available in premium plans
- Limited integrations compared to competitors
Free plan for up to 5 users, $9/user/month for premium all-access plan
G2 Grade: 4.1/5
Flexible enough for any industry, great for freelancers, creative work, and simple project scoping.
Trello, a popular project management tool, now incorporates AI capabilities such as an AI assistant, visual representation of important events, and AI automated board management tools to enhance project organization and efficiency.
- Visual board interface makes tasks easy to visualize and organize
- Flexible customization through powerful integrations
- Real-time notifications keep teams updated on changes
- Limited structure for more formal project management
- Reliance on comments over dedicated fields complicates info
- Premium needed for some collaboration features
Starting Price: Free for unlimited users, $9.99/user/month for premium
G2 Grade: 4.3/5
Full-featured for agencies, enterprises, and complex projects. Robust reporting for consultants.
ClickUp is a cloud-based project management platform with a robust AI virtual assistant that provides access to team information at any time. It offers AI writing assistance, document summarization, automatic translation, and research-based prompts.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface for customizing workflows
- Powerful reporting and analytics for tracking progress
- Strong integration with G Suite and Office 365
- Steeper learning curve than other Kanban-style tools
- Some advanced features only in premium plans
- Comments are not as robust as dedicated discussion boards
Free for individual users, $7/user/month for full access with AI capabilities
G2 Grade: 4.4/5
A versatile tool that is ideal for knowledge management, content creation, and creative workflows.
Notion offers a sleek and quick app for task management and project organization. Its AI system streamlines writing, optimizes workflow, and provides grammar correction and spell-checker functionalities to improve overall project quality.
- Customizable dashboard framework adapts to any workflow
- Excellent document editing and formatting tools
- Tight integration between notes, tasks, and files
- A steep learning curve for advanced configurations
- Search functionality could be more intuitive
- Not explicitly focused on project management
Free for individuals, $5/user/month for teams
G2 Grade: 4.5/5
Best for software teams, marketing agencies, and data-driven industries like SaaS.
Asana is a sophisticated project management system with advanced AI task management tools, AI analytics, content organization, and predictive AI capabilities to streamline project management and optimize workflows.
- User-friendly interface for managing workflow and tasks
- Robust reporting and analytics for tracking progress
- Powerful customization through integrations and templates
- Some advanced features only in paid plans
- Search could provide more filtering and advanced options
- May have more features than needed for simple projects
Starting Price: Free for 15 users, paid plans at $10.99/user/month
G2 Grade: 4.4/5
It is preferred for project-heavy industries like construction, engineering, and event planning.
Wrike Work Intelligence is an AI solution that offers AI-powered task prioritization, risk detection, digital assistant, and automatic file digitization to simplify project management and enhance decision-making processes.
- Robust resource management and capacity planning tools
- Strong reporting and analytics for data-driven insights
- Over 100 integrations for extended functionality
- Steep learning curve for less technical users
- Search could offer more filtering and advanced options
- Complex permissions can be complicated to manage
Starting Price: 14-day free trial, $9.80/user/month minimum
G2 Grade: 4.3/5
It best fits creative agencies, freelancers, and simple collaboration needs.
Basecamp is a project management and team communication software that simplifies project organization and communication. It offers a straightforward interface and collaboration features for efficient team coordination.
- Simple and intuitive interface for messaging and tasks.
- Excellent built-in search across docs, chats, and tasks.
- Affordable pricing, even for larger teams
- Fewer project management features than competitors.
- Limited customization through templates and integrations.
- Less robust reporting and analytics.
Starting Price: 14-day free trial, base version $15/month per user
G2 Grade: 4.1/5
It is ideally suited for complex project portfolios, PMOs, and industries like manufacturing.
Microsoft Project is a project management software that utilizes AI capabilities to assist in project planning, scheduling, and resource management, providing users with valuable insights and predictive analytics.
- Robust feature set for complex project planning
- Seamless integration with Microsoft 365 apps
- Powerful reporting and analytics for insights
- Steep learning curve for casual users
- Expensive compared to other options
- Overkill for simple projects with few tasks
Starting Price: $7/user/month for basic web-based app
G2 Grade: 4.0/5
Suitable for creative teams, development shops, and collaborative workflows.
Teamwork is a project management tool with AI features that streamline task management, resource allocation, and project planning. It offers AI-powered insights and automation to enhance project efficiency.
- Strong focus on task management and collaboration.
- Customizable templates for different project types
- Integrations with Google Drive, Dropbox, and Trello.
- Interface can feel cluttered.
- Some advanced features only in paid plans.
- Support is only available during business hours.
Starting Price: 14-day free trial, $7/user/month minimum
G2 Grade: 4.0/5
11. Project Insight
Favors industries with heavy resource management needs like consulting, staffing, and facilities.
Project Insight is a project and portfolio management software that leverages AI for advanced project reporting, analytics, and resource allocation, providing users with valuable project insights and data-driven decision-making support.
- Robust resource management and capacity planning.
- Powerful reporting and dashboard creation.
- Integration with MS Project makes data portable.
- Steep learning curve.
- Support for agile methodologies could be better.
- Expensive compared to alternatives.
Starting Price: 30-day free trial; pricing varies by team size
G2 Grade: 3.9/5
Best for agile teams, product development, and simple project tracking needs.
BeforeSunset is a project management tool with AI capabilities that streamline project planning, task management, and collaboration. It offers AI-powered features to enhance project efficiency and team collaboration.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop kanban boards.
- Real-time collaboration and activity feeds.
- Wide range of templates for different project types.
- Limited customization options.
- Basic free plan has limited features.
- Support could be more responsive.
Starting Price: Free plan for 3 users, $9/user
G2 Grade: 4.0/5
Key Features Of AI Project Management Tools
AI-powered project management tools offer many features to help manage projects more efficiently and effectively. These features include:
- Support documentation: AI project management tools can help maintain documentation by automating document creation, storage, and sharing.
- Collaboration features: These tools can enable team members to collaborate and communicate with each other in real time, regardless of their location.
- Allocation of resources: AI-powered tools can help allocate resources effectively by analyzing data and predicting future needs.
- Project risk mitigation and prediction: These tools can analyze data to identify potential risks and predict their impact on the project.
- Workflow and task automation: AI-powered tools can automate repetitive tasks, freeing time for team members to focus on more critical tasks.
- Data management: These tools can help manage project data by collecting, analyzing, and storing it in a central location.
- Project prioritization: AI-powered tools can help prioritize tasks based on their importance and urgency.
- Daily task management: These tools can help manage daily tasks by providing reminders and notifications.
- Setting project KPIs: These tools can help develop and track project KPIs to ensure the project is on track.
- Handling project administrative tasks: AI-powered tools can automate administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings, sending emails, and creating reports.
- Project data analysis: These tools can analyze project data to identify trends, patterns, and insights that can help make informed decisions.
- Project budgeting: AI-powered tools can help create and manage project budgets by analyzing data and predicting costs.
- Project scheduling: These tools can help create and manage project schedules by automating scheduling tasks and allocating resources.
- Complex project analytics: AI-powered tools can analyze complex project data to provide insights that can help make informed decisions.
Overall, AI-powered project management tools can help manage projects more efficiently and effectively by automating repetitive tasks, analyzing data, and providing insights that can help make informed decisions. These tools can save time and increase productivity, allowing team members to focus on more important tasks.
How do you choose the best AI project manager?
AI project management tools have yet to be widely adopted, but more and more project managers are starting to use them. When choosing a project management AI tool, there are several unique considerations to remember.
Various project management tools may be more suitable for different fields of activity.
Project management tools such as Trello, Asana, and Basecamp are commonly used in various industries. With its visual boards and cards, Trello is often utilized for marketing and content creation projects.
On the other hand, Asana is prevalent in software development and creative agencies due to its project tracking and team collaboration features. Basecamp is well-suited for remote teams and freelancers with its simple interface and messaging capabilities.
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a project management AI tool is the software's AI features. The goal is to automate and improve various tasks and processes that are part of your management efforts. Therefore, it is essential to identify which features are infused with AI.
Development Stage of the Product
Another factor to consider is the development stage of the product. Many companies are marketing their AI capabilities but are still working on them. Therefore, it is crucial to determine if the solution is fully functional and has been proven to work. Companies need proven tools they can adopt right away and start getting results.
Pricing and Associated Costs
Pricing is always an important factor when adopting a new solution. It is essential to put all the features and functionalities on a list and compare the prices between multiple tools. Just because something is more expensive, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. On the other hand, you also shouldn't be looking to get the cheapest tool possible and expect it to do a great job. Be realistic about its capabilities and compare the price. Most PM tools today offer free trials so you can test their abilities.
The success of AI solutions depends on the algorithm and how the program is trained. Therefore, it is crucial to find a solution that's already been appropriately trained to tackle the essential tasks. Avoid solutions requiring additional training as it can get very complex, and you might teach the program to do something you didn't want. It is also essential to check the usability of the specialized tool you're interested in and if anyone can work with it.
In conclusion, when choosing the best AI project manager, it is essential to consider AI features, the development stage of the product, pricing and associated costs, and usability. By keeping these factors in mind, you can choose the best AI project manager for your business needs.
Benefits of Using AI Tools for Project Management
AI project management tools offer numerous benefits that can improve the project management process. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Better Project Estimations: Overly optimistic or pessimistic estimations can lead to project failure even before it starts. According to a survey by Geneca, 70% of managers say their projects fail before they even begin. AI has more substantial processing power than humans and doesn’t have biases or feelings that affect its estimations. By crunching down numbers quickly and using historical data to learn and provide accurate estimations, AI can lead to a higher project success rate.
- Improved Scheduling and Planning: AI can connect the dots between data points to make the most of datasets, analyze vast amounts of data, and make suitable suggestions and conclusions. With AI project management software, project managers can allocate and assign team members with all the information in a single location to take the right action. This allows for improved scheduling and planning, as well as better decision-making based on vital information.
- Reliable Roadmaps and Budgets: Costs and time are closely connected in project management. AI solutions can give predictable and accurate time estimations that allow project managers to define the project team scope and requirements, and create proposals for clients that are realistic and reliable for both parties. With accurate time estimates, project managers can create robust project roadmaps through which they can schedule resources in a better way. This allows clients to understand when the project will be delivered and what kind of work will be done, while employees will know their tasks.
- More Predictability: Better project estimations increase predictability. AI stores all data, remembers all previous outcomes, and processes this data quickly, allowing for better decisions. AI continuously improves estimations for different resources and tasks using data from previous organizations, people, team performance, and projects. The algorithm is constantly improving and using the current factors to give accurate estimates while considering historical data. This allows project managers to predict outcomes and potential issues with their projects.
Overall, AI project management tools offer a range of benefits that can improve the project management process. By leveraging the power of AI, project managers can make better decisions, improve scheduling and planning, and increase predictability, ultimately leading to higher project success rates.